Saturday, September 13, 2008

Cuba delays military exercise after 2 hurricanes

International Herald Tribune
Saturday, September 13, 2008

HAVANA: Cuba announced Saturday that it is postponing a military exercise so soldiers can focus on helping the country recover and rebuild from the devastation of Hurricanes Gustav and Ike.

An "informative note" in the Communist Party newspaper Granma said President Raul Castro had decided to put off "Bastion 2008," an exercise scheduled to begin in November. It provided no further details about the exercise.

A four-star army general, Raul Castro served as defense minister for decades before succeeding his ailing, 82-year-old elder brother Fidel as president in February. In a national address in July, he put Washington on notice that Cuba would focus on modernizing and better training and equipping its military.

But two big storms have forced a change in plans.

Hurricane Gustav slammed into western Cuba on Aug. 30, damaging homes and crippling industry, food production and infrastructure in Pinar del Rio province and Isla de la Juventud, an island south of mainland Cuba. Barely a week later, Ike hit eastern Cuba, killing seven people and forcing nearly a fourth of the nation's population to evacuate their homes.

Also Saturday, Victor Ramirez, president of Cuba's National Housing Institute, said more than half a million homes were damaged or destroyed by Gustav and Ike, more than 91,000 of those beyond repair.

Ramirez said the losses from both storms could reach in the billions of dollars and that Cuba's armed forces had begun to tap into reserve stocks of food and other supplies to provide aid to tens of thousands left homeless.

1 comment:

Mrs Sharon Sim said...

I’m Charles David by name, i want to use this medium to alert all loan seekers to be very careful because there are scam everywhere, Few months ago I was financially strained, and due to my desperation I was scammed by several online lenders. I had almost lost hope until a friend of mine referred me to a very reliable lender called Dr Purva Pius ( A God fearing man) who lend me a loan of $237,000 under 72 working hours without any stress. I explain to the company by mail and all they told me was to cry no more because i will get my loan from this company and also i have made the right choice of contacting them i filled the loan application form and proceeded with all that was requested of me and to my shock I was given the loan, If you are in need of any kind of loan just contact him now via: {urgentloan22@gmail.com}